What is the Mundo?

I am the very happy owner of a Yuba Mundo Cargo bike, a purpose-built, long-tail, heavy-duty bike that is built to be a serious replacement for a carbon-emitting vehicle. I'm learning more every day what a bike can do, and I'm becoming convinced that a cargo bike with an electric assist is a truly fantastic machine!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

30 Days of Biking Bliss

Today I rode my bike.  I have ridden it every day (almost) since last April 2012 when the 30 days of Biking challenge found me.
One of the spoke cards I made for the 30 Days of Biking Challenge

 There have been some days when I haven't: too lazy, too cold, too busy, whatever!  But last year, when I heard about the 30 Days of Biking challenge, I just felt compelled to do it.  I needed to make a real commitment to biking as my main form of transportation, and stop burning carbon just because I want to go get a burrito (or a coffee.  Usually a coffee...).  Having the electric-assist Yuba Mundo has really helped me keep my commitment - I was able to do my 38 mile round-trip commute between Worcester and Marlborough without a problem.

Mundo with trailer = massive hauling capability
Now that I've retired from teaching and live in Fort Collins, aka Bicycle Paradise, I only use the Mundo for grocery shopping, hauling, and long distance trips that have to be accomplished quickly (The electric-assist Mundo moves through time and space at an average speed of about 18 mph).  However, whether I'm riding the Mundo or my trusty old Cannondale road bike, or doing a long touring ride with my beautiful old 1967 Raleigh Pro, the Cosmos Mariner, the bliss of bicycling has truly taken hold.  I felt it today very strongly, the warm air, the beautiful clouds, the foothills off to the west; weaving through the streets, no hurry, just enjoyment of the movement.  In the moment.  Bliss.  Yes, I will bike every day this April, and the 30 days of biking will continue to be an inspiration as Spring turns to Summer and the silent, perfect wheels of the most efficient machine on Earth keep spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment