What is the Mundo?

I am the very happy owner of a Yuba Mundo Cargo bike, a purpose-built, long-tail, heavy-duty bike that is built to be a serious replacement for a carbon-emitting vehicle. I'm learning more every day what a bike can do, and I'm becoming convinced that a cargo bike with an electric assist is a truly fantastic machine!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Last week was pretty good for riding to work, only one day was so rainy that I had to drive instead.  Grrr.  Another day started off dry, but by the time I was about 7 miles into the 18.5 mile trip, it was raining.  However, it was a relatively warm rain,  and I always carry my rain pants in the Go-Getter bag just in case, so along with my windbreaker, I was pretty dry when I arrived at school.  The Mundo handles the wet weather with aplomb, and the ezee hub motor seems impervious to the road spray.  I love this system!

When I get a little more time I'm going to set up this blog with some new pages to focus on each aspect of the bike: the electric kit, the Go-Getter bag, the DIY stoker bars, and of course, the cup holder!  For today though, I just wanted to post some pictures that once again show what a bike can do.

I got some starter plants at the Regional Environmental Council Spring Garden Festival at the YouthGrow Urban farm on Oread Street, Main South Worcester.  Yeah!  Anyway, got the plants (Kale, Kale, Kale, and some tomatoes...) and needed to get some dirt and manure and containers to plant them in.  We're trying out some container gardening this year, to supplement our CSA share.  Rode the Mundo over to the local depot place that has that stuff, got it loaded on pretty easily, and headed back to the house with about 170 pounds of stuff lashed to the rack.  In typical Worcester fashion, people sort of looked sideways at the crazy person with the weird bike, but nobody said anything.  Very easy trip, but I'd like to build some kind of open boxes that attach to the rear rack that could easily be loaded with large bulky items (such as 80 lb bags of dirt).  I'll let you know when I get them built, any suggestions on design and materials?  Anyone else build something like that yet?  Drop me a comment if you have an idea.  Thanks!

Loaded up for the trip home
Kale and tomatoes looking forward to their new container home.



1 comment: